We examine the best graphics tablets for online teachers to use in the classroom
Keeping students engaged during online ESL classes can sometimes be a challenge. Adding diversity into your classes can be one of the best ways to keep students, especially younger ones, focused on the lesson and interested in what is being talked about. There are a few different ways that this can be accomplished including using props, digital effects with a program such as Many Cam, and an often overlooked method of drawing and illustrating with a graphics pad. We’re going to discuss the latter of these methods and how you can utilize a graphics pad in your online ESL classes as well as the best graphics tablets for online ESL teachers.
Why would I use a graphics tablet in my online class?
Have you ever used the built-in annotation feature that many online ESL companies have in their courseware and become frustrated? These tools are often quite clunky on their own nevermind if you are trying to draw something with a mouse and in a short amount of time. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could just take a pen and draw something simple to illustrate what you are talking about?
If you’ve taught a few classes then you have probably figured out that using pictures and drawing are two of the easiest and quickest ways to illustrate a complex concept. Why try to explain the idea of Christmas or a snowman to a young Chinese child when you can draw a Christmas tree or snowman on a screen and they can connect that to their own understanding from movies. A picture is worth a thousand words and this has never been truer than when trying to teach a new language to a young student who may be on the other side of the world from you.
A graphics tablet allows you to easily and, just as important, quickly, draw items on the screen with more precision and speed than you would ever be able to get using your computer’s mouse. It will also allow you to save time trying to navigate through the annotation software and constantly switch between the different tools that may or may not be available to you at any time.
How can I use a graphics tablet in my online class?
Now that you understand why you would want to use a graphics tablet in your class, you may be wondering exactly how to use it. This can be a bit tricky depending on which company you work for and how their software works, however, it should be easily manageable for almost all teachers.
The best, and for many teachers, the only way to use a graphics tablet in their online classroom will be to pair the graphics tablet with a desktop whiteboard app, of which there are many. This will allow you to quickly switch between the courseware and the whiteboard with just a quick click of the mouse. You will be able to draw what you need to illustrate the point you are trying to make and then get back to the lesson without wasting valuable time.
It really is as simple as this. There won’t be a need for a lot of extra clunky software that will bog down your computer and installation will be as simple as hooking a USB plug into your computer. You can go from those awkward drawings of houses to awesome illustrations that students will actually be able to understand in just a matter of minutes.
What are the best graphics tablets for online teachers?
- Compatibility: XP-PEN Deco01 V2 graphics drawing tablet supports work with Windows 10/8/7, Mac 10.10 and above and Android 6.0 and above and Chrome OS 88 and above. It's compatible with drawing programs like Photoshop, SAI, Painter, Illustrator, Clip Studio, Krita, paint tool sai, Corel painter, manga studio, and more. Easy plug-in via included USB-A cord, plug and play
- XP-PEN Deco01 V2 art tablet is perfect for kids and beginners or digital artists for digital art drawing, animation, photo-editing, 3D Modeling, or design work. We’ve adopted the newest High Tech IC, to make lines flow smoother and perform better. Suitable for both right and left-hand users
- Battery-free Stylus and support 60 degrees of tilt: P05 Battery-free stylus features 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity―Providing you with groundbreaking control and fluidity to expand your creative output. The one-click toggle allows you to switch between Pen and Eraser instantly. The Deco 01V2 digital tablet supports up to 60 degrees of tilt brush effect and delivers smoother and more natural lines and strokes, while also giving you the ability to add shading to your art creation
- Slim design art tablet: XP-PEN Deco 01V2 pen tablet is only 8mm, it is the thickness one of all the high-level graphic tablets, you can carry it anywhere without any burden. 10 x 6.25 inch working area, so you get more space to create or get work done. 8 fully customizable express keys create a highly ergonomic and convenient work platform. The xp-pen driver allows the shortcut keys to be attuned to other different software
- Ideal tool for online teaching and web-conference: Simultaneous digital inking with an XP-PEN drawing tablet, it's compatible with Microsoft Office apps like Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, Zoom, Xsplit etc. Works perfect than a mouse, visually present your handwritten notes, signatures precisely. Register your XP-PEN tablet on XP-PEN Web to receive ExplainEverything or an ArtRage Lite program. XP-PEN provides a one-year warranty and lifetime technical support for all our pen tablets/displays
- 【Large Active Drawing Space】: UGEE M708 V2 graphic drawing tablet, features 10 x 6 inch large active drawing space with papery texture surface, provides enormous and smooth drawing for your digital artwork creation, offers no-lag sketch, painting experience;
- 【8192 Passive Stylus Technology】: A more affordable passive stylus technology offers 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity allows you to draw accurate lines of any weight and opacity according to the pressure you apply to the pen, sharper line with light pressure and thick line with hard pressure, perfect for artistry design or unique brush effect for photo retouching;
- 【Compatible with Multiple System&Softwares】: Powerful compatibility, tablet for drawing computer, perform well with Windows 10 / 8 / 7 and Mac OS X 10.10 or above; Driver program works with creative software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Macromedia Flash, Comic Studio, SAI, Infinite Stratos, 3D MAX, Autodesk MAYA, Pixologic ZBrush and more;
- 【Ergonomically Designed Shortcuts】: 8 customizable express keys on the side for short cuts like eraser, zoom in and out, scrolling and undo, provide a lot more for convenience and helps to improve the productivity and efficiency when creating with the drawing tablet;
- ❤Easy to Set Up& Best Customer Service❤: Suits for both right and left hand user with the pen holder and extra pen tips, ideal for professional artist, newbie designer and amateur hobbyist of all kind, provides 12-month hussle free warranty service and clock customer service;
- XP-PEN G640 graphics tablet is designed for digital drawing, painting, sketching, E-signatures, online teaching, remote work, photo editing, etc. XP-PEN G640 is compatible with Windows 10/8/7 and Mac 10.10 or above and Chrome OS 88 and above. It's compatible with the drawing program Adobe Photoshop, paint tool sai, illustrator, Corel draw, Corel painter, sketchbook, manga studio, clip studio paint, and more
- StarG640 drawing tablet is the perfect replacement for a traditional mouse! The XP-PEN advanced Battery-free PN01 stylus does not require charging, allowing for constant uninterrupted Draw and Play, making lines flow quicker and smoother, enhancing overall performance. The one-click toggle allows you to switch between Pen and Eraser instantly. Comes with 20 replacement nibs, allowing you to have more fun
- XP-PEN StarG640 pen tablet features 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity, its 6x4 inches active area, providing you with groundbreaking control and fluidity to expand your creative output. The G640 is only 2mm thick, it’s as slim as all primary level graphic tablets, allowing you to carry it with you on the go
- XP-PEN G640 drawing tablet is ready to work seamlessly with Chromebook devices now, so you can create information-rich content and collaborate with teachers and classmates on Google Jamboard’s whiteboard; Take notes quickly and conveniently with Google Keep, and effortlessly sketch diagrams with the Google Canvas
- XP-PEN G640 is an ideal tool for online teaching, e-learning, remote work, web-conferencing, it's compatible with Microsoft Office apps like Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, Zoom, Xsplit etc. Works perfect than a mouse, visually present your handwritten notes, signatures precisely. Register your XP-PEN tablet on XP-PEN Web to receive ExplainEverything program. XP-PEN provides a one-year warranty and lifetime technical support for all our pen tablets/displays