Why Using Props in the ESL Classroom is Important
When young learners begin acquiring their first language, they are essentially like sponges, absorbing everything they see, hear, smell, touch, and taste. Toys, books, games, and activities can help to make the experience more fun, particularly if they are used in a manner that enables young learners to be physically involved in the learning process. Of course, there’s also the show and tell aspect of using these child-centered resources as part of the learning experience.
For ESL students, especially young learners, acquiring a non-native language poses different challenges. As an ESL teacher, you will likely be using props and other teaching aids, not only to make the learning experience more fun and engaging, but also to elicit responses from students to develop their English fluency.
What Makes a Prop Good for ESL Instruction?
In truth, anything can be used as a prop for teaching any subject, if it is used purposefully. As ESL teachers – whether in the classroom or online – we want to get down to business quickly using ready-to-go teaching props and aids. We teach many students and classes throughout the day, so having a core set of props and aids can be a major time and life saver.
Good props for teaching ESL then, are those which can be used across a broad spectrum of classes, students, and contexts. You want to build up an inventory of props that can cover a wide range of ESL age groups, topics, themes, and proficiency levels, because there simply isn’t enough room to fill your home or office with props for every single context.
So, if a prop can be used to…
- develop vocabulary
- practice spelling
- learn phonics and improve pronunciation
- practice describing items
- compare and contrast
- explain cause and effect
- learn and sing songs
…then it is evidently a meaningful prop.
That said, not all props need to be multi-textual to serve a purpose. Very young learners may be more challenging to keep on point, as they have short attention spans. For these situations, noisemakers and clappers will come in handy.
So, let’s get you set up with the right props for ESL teachers and how you can use them in the classroom.
Recommended Props for ESL Teachers
Hand and Finger Puppets
Hand or finger puppets make excellent props for ESL classroom instruction. Use them to captivate your students through conversation, role-play, and other forms of engagement. Because they slip onto your hand or fingers, puppets can magically transform into make-believe characters your students will connect with and grow to love.
In this video, Karen Frazier, co-author of the Let’s Go series, gives us an excellent model of how to use puppets in the ESL classroom to introduce conversation:
As you can see, puppets are great props for ESL instruction. For young ESL learners, you can breathe some life into your puppets – and your lesson – and completely transform the learning experience for your students.
Puppets We Recommend for the ESL Classroom
- ENTERTAINING HAND PUPPETS FOR KIDS: The Melissa & Doug Safari Buddies Hand Puppets set includes 6 soft and cuddly hand puppets with a safari animal theme (elephant, a tiger, a parrot, a giraffe, a monkey and a zebra).
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS: Our puppets for kids feature brightly patterned, high-quality fabrics that are washable for easy clean-up. They are sized to fit children and most adults.
- HELPS DEVELOPS MULTIPLE SKILLS: This puppet set is great for storytelling, motor skill development, practicing vocabulary, expressing emotions, and confidence-building. It’s an excellent option for encouraging hands-on, screen-free play.
- GIFT FOR AGES 2 AND UP: The Safari Buddies Hand Puppets kit makes an ideal gift for kids ages 2 and up. Add the Melissa & Doug Zoo Friends Hand Puppet set to round out the puppet play experience.
- “THE GOLD STANDARD IN CHILDHOOD PLAY”: For more than 30 years, Melissa & Doug has created beautifully designed imagination- and creativity-sparking products that NBC News calls “the gold standard in early childhood play.”
- 100% HAPPINESS GUARANTEE: We design every toy to the highest quality standards, and to nurture minds and hearts. If your child is not inspired, give us a call and we’ll make it right. Our phone number is on every product!
- 6 Animal hand puppets for kids– elephant, giraffe, lion, bear, raccoon and monkey.
- Giraffe, lion, bear, raccoon and monkey hand puppets have working mouth.
- Great for encouraging imaginative play, puppet show, puppet stage, creative for classroom or church setting, motor skills, hand-eye coordination, communication skills, self-confidence, and social-emotional connections.
- 9 inch height 8 inch wide. Fit all age kids.
- Super soft, super fun. Meet USA toy standard.
- ENTERTAINING PUPPET SET: The Melissa & Doug Zoo Friends Hand Puppets set contains 4 soft hand puppets, including an elephant, giraffe, tiger, and monkey.
- SOFT-STUFFED PLUSH MATERIAL: Our fuzzy hand-puppet set is made from soft-stuffed plush material that not only encourages cuddle time but is washable for easy cleanup.
- SIZED FOR CHILDREN AND ADULTS: This hand-puppets set has been sized to fit children and most adults. Kids learn motor skills, hand-eye coordination, communication skills, self-confidence, and more.
- GIFT FOR KIDS 2 TO 6: These puppets make an exceptional gift for kids ages 2 to 6. Add the Melissa & Doug Deluxe Puppet Theater to round out the pretend play experience and give kids another engaging option for screen-free fun.
- “THE GOLD STANDARD IN CHILDHOOD PLAY”: For more than 30 years, Melissa & Doug has created beautifully designed imagination- and creativity-sparking products that NBC News called “the gold standard in early childhood play.”
- 100% HAPPINESS GUARANTEE: We design every toy to the highest quality standards, and to nurture minds and hearts. If your child is not inspired, give us a call and we'll make it right. Our phone number is on every product!
Stuffed animals are a favorite with young ESL learners, and like puppets, they can be used in various learning contexts. Indeed, you can use puppets and stuffed toys interchangeably. The main difference between them is that stuffed toys are a little more challenging to bring to life, as you can’t move their parts with your hand like you would with a puppet. Still, there are so many different types of stuffed toys, that you’re more than likely to find a specific toy you’re looking for. You can set them on a table or shelf, or hold them in your hands while teaching. Most of all, stuffed animals are soft, cute, and cuddly, and kids love them.
Use stuffed toys during warm-up activities, storytelling, or even creating an imaginary zoo, farm, or aquarium.
Stuffed Animals We Recommend for the ESL Classroom
- Item measures 11" Long
- Plush giraffe has baby-safe embroidered details and a rattle inside
- Made with top quality materials for durability and softness
- Model Number : 20833
- Measures 9" Tall
- Super-soft plush and huggable body
- Endearing facial expression and body position
- The mythical Caticorn has arrived in a flutter of sparkle and shine! Shimmer’s ultra-soft, pastel rainbow-colored plush is accented by a sparkling iridescent rainbow horn and fluffy tail with strands of sparkle flowing through. This 9” magical creature makes a great gift for cat and unicorn enthusiasts alike and lovers of whimsy. As always, high-quality plush material ensures that GUND products remain loyal companions for years to come. Surface-washable for easy cleaning. Appropriate for ages 1+.
- PLUSH KITTY + UNICORN: This unique caticorn features pastel rainbow-colored plush, sparkling iridescent rainbow horn & fluffy tail with strands of sparkle.
- SOFT & HUGGABLE: Made from soft, huggable material that meets famous GUND quality standards, this plush toy features surface-washable construction for easy cleaning. Appropriate for children 1 & up.
- THE PERFECT GIFT: Our plush dolls, teddy bears, & stuffed animals make perfect gifts for birthdays, baby showers, baptisms, Easter, Valentine's Day & more! Perfect for unicorn & cat fans!
- QUALITY CUDDLES: Known for quality, soft, huggable plush designs & gifts, our award-winning bears & toys appeal to all ages, from infants & toddlers to adults, perfect for play, collecting & cuddling.
Food is a popular topic with ESL students, and play food is a great way to get students talking about food. Use play food to describe food groups, colors, shapes, and tastes. You can also use play food to talk about more complex topics like healthy vs unhealthy food, popular food around the world, or meals of the day.
So, go ahead and use play food to engage your students in fun, interactive activities. Make a picnic. Have lunch. Cook dinner. Order a meal. Dig in!
Play Food We Recommend for the ESL Classroom
- 122 PIECES. From fruits and vegetables, Pretend food Meat, Fish, Eggs, Milk, Juice, Drinks, Sandwichs, Pizza, Burger, French fries to Play food Bakery, Bread, Cake, Donuts, Cookies, Ice cream, this play set provides all of the basic food groups for little ones to prepare and serve. Boasting 122 pieces, your children will feel like they have their own little food store at home to entertain them for hours on end.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION. Unlike similar products by competitors, each piece is expertly crafted using BPA-free plastic – not cardboard that will smash and waste easily. In addition to not having to worry about the toys breaking, the material is also easy to clean if needed.
- ROLE-PLAYING FUN. Boys and girls love to imitate their parents. With this set, they can pretend to go shopping, cook up a meal and serve you breakfast, lunch or dinner. Let their imaginations run wild with this vast variety of foods to choose from.
- REALISTIC FOOD. Bold colors and realistic designs make playtime much more fun. With bottles and cans, as well as condiments and spices, let your son or daughter whip you up something special as they get creative in the kitchen or set up a picnic for the whole family to enjoy, just like home!
- GREAT ACCESSORY. This set makes a great addition to play shopping carts and kitchens, enhancing creative time with endless hours of fun. Boys and girls will love doing everything they watch you do as they learn what each item is, enhance their reading skills and let their imaginations run wild.
- Toy food, fruit, and vegetable items with realistic details sized perfectly for small hands and bigger imaginations!
- Play kitchen and discover the world of pretend cooking and grocery shopping; works great with other play food items and accessories!
- Includes: (1) storage container with snap-on lid and easy-to-grab handle, (1) cutting board, (1) plastic knife, (9) boxed foods, and (67) plastic fruits, vegetables, and other food items (*specific food items may vary).
- Teaches role play and develops fine motor and social skills by sorting colors, shapes, and choosing which foods are healthiest.
- Recommended for ages 3 and up.
- For best results, hand wash plastic items with gentle dish detergent and warm water (not recommended for dishwasher). Plastic food for toddlers should be gently washed before play.
- All Play Circle products meet or exceed US and CAN safety standards. Small parts can present a choking hazard – this set of toddler-learning toys is not recommended for children under 3 years old.
- Play Circle is manufactured by Battat, a family-owned toy company since 1897 providing a line of award-winning toys that encourage healthy development for all children.
- Skill Level: Beginner
- ❤PLAY FOOD TOYS ASSORTMENT INCLUDES - Total 143pcs super value play food for kids , not like others only 120+. They are perfect size pretend food toy playsets for kids, help to promote fine motor skills and dexterity. It's a large toy food set and enough for your children to pretend cook and eat. Include play vegetables, fruits, meat, eggs, milk, juice, drinks, pizza, burger, bread, cake, donuts, cookies, Ice cream, etc.
- ❤PREMIUM QUALITY & SAFETY - Made with durable thick high quality ABS plastic. Will not cracks or breaks easily and hurt your kids. Compare with other toy food set, not include any one time play cheap flimsy paper box. None toxic. BPA Free, No cardboard that will smash and waste easily. Toys certified conform to US Toy Safety Standards ASTM F963. After sale 90 days no reason return or money refund guarantee.
- ❤TOY FOOD SETS AS BEST GIFT - We will not want to save cost and use cheap PVC bag for packaging, deluxe color box will be best choice and with storage bag inside for your easy collection, varies of toy food set for kids kitchen especially for outdoor kitchen play, perfect for holiday toy gifts, Christmas gifts, Easter stuffer gift. Come on, let your little chef cooks, serves and cleans up immediately.
- ❤PRETEND FOOD GOOD FOR TODDLERS - Kid play food pretend play toys for girls boys help children act out their fantasies. This set can help children emotional development, helps improve communication and language ability. And help establish more trust on relationships with parents, siblings and friends. Help develop child's mind, creativity and thinking ability and train their hand-eye-coordination and hand flexibility by their own operation.
- ❤REALISTIC DESIGN - This pretend food with bold colors and realistic designs make playtime much more fun. The plastic is very durable and can hold up well against rough play and Not-so-Pretend eating, as the food looks so realistic, please do not put it in your mouth! Recommended for kids at age 3 and above. Anyway, you will enjoy the role play of cooking with your Kids! Create hours of fun playtime.
Which child doesn’t love to hit, kick, throw, or catch a ball? We can’t think of one. If you’ve never used balls for props in the ESL classroom, you’ll soon realize how much fun they can inject. Use a ball to assign student turns during any activity. There are no limits to the kind of activities you can do in the ESL classroom with a ball.
Here’s an example of Jenny White using a ball to effectively engage her students in a vocabulary game:
What’s amazing about using a ball while teaching is that you can get your students on their feet and physically active during the activity. That not only improves their concentration and participation, but also adds elements of competitiveness, teamwork, and coordination between thoughts and actions.
If you teach ESL online, you can use a ball for talking about sports, colors, and shapes.
Your ESL students will have a ball learning English – seriously!
Balls We Recommend for the ESL Classroom
- Pack of 200 pcs Crush Proof Balls. Made with Phthalate Free; BPA Free; Lead Free & non-PVC Plastic
- Each Ball will withstand over 90 pounds of weight. Guaranteed Crush Proof, Phthalate Free & manufactured with non-Recycled Plastic Material
- Each ball measures 2.3 inches in diameter, a perfect size for small child's hand. 6 bright & attractive colors: Blue, red, pink, green, orange and yellow
- Great for filling any ball pit, tent, playhouse, kiddie pool, playpen and bounce house
- Strong and reusable mesh bag for re-storing the balls when not in use. Looking for a smaller pack? Use this ASIN: B00PYLJGQ4 for our 100 piece ball pack
- 🔵 BEST VALUE - Don’t pay extra for individual balls when you can get the most popular sports themes in one playset.
- 🔴 HIGH QUALITY - This playset is designed for play and made for durability. The plastic will hold its structural integrity under heat and rough play ensuring hours of fun for years to come.
- 🔵 PERFECT FOR TODDLERS - The dimensions of this playset were made with smaller hands in mind. Have your toddler feeling like a pro with sports balls made for them.
- 🔴 GET YOUR CHILD OFF THE COUCH AND GIVE THEM SOMETHING ACTIVE TO DO: Whether it be a game winning three-pointer, a touchdown or a goal, your toddler will be having fun for hours envisioning becoming a champion. This playset will also instill the idea of sports at an early age, promoting a healthy and active lifestyle.
- 🔵 YOUR SAFETY IS IMPORTANT TO US. All products are exhaustively and Independently Third-Party Lab Tested. Certified Non-Toxic our Engineering Learning Set is BPA-Safe, Lead-Safe and Phthalates-Safe. 100% Money Back Guarantee.
- NON-TOXIC & CHILD SAFE - Made with Phthalate Free; BPA Free; Lead Free & non-PVC Plastic
- Each ball measures 2.2 inches in diameter, a perfect size for small child's hand. Bright colors keep little ones captivated. Play rolling around, color-counting, & shape games.
- Great for filling any ball pit, tent, playhouse, kiddie pool, playpen and bounce house
- Crush-Proof & Air-Filled Plastic Balls that will survive any toddler rampage! Easy to keep clean and look fresh for everyday fun.
- NO-MESS STORAGE BAG… comes with a sturdy mesh bag that holds everything together to free-up the living space; means no more balls underfoot anywhere in the house
Every ESL teacher should be equipped with flash cards for all occasions. Whether teaching in the classroom or online, flash cards are nifty because you can use them in so many contexts to enhance the learning experience. Use them for activities and games, drilling vocabulary, pronunciation, conversation, and role-plays. Though most stock flash cards are geared towards young learners, you’ll find a wide variety of flash cards that cover more complex concepts such as nouns and prepositions, and themes such as emotions.
Flash cards are also easy to pack and carry, they make an excellent teaching aid for traveling ESL teachers. So, if you’re planning a family vacation but plan to teach ESL online during your travels, flash cards will fit neatly into your suitcase.
Here are some ideas for using flash cards for teaching primary children, by Carol Read of Macmillan Spain:
Flash Cards We Recommend for the ESL Classroom
- ✔ FOUR FLASH CARDS SETS – These 4 sets will teach your 3-5 year old Math, Language and Basic Skills.
- ✔ MATH, BASIC SKILLS AND LANGUAGE – The numbers set will teach your child math. The Colors & Shapes will teach your child basic skills and the First Words and Alphabets will teach them language
- ✔ RINGS INCLUDED – This set of flash cards includes a ring for every set to keep it neat and organized and for easy sorting
- ✔ LARGE FONTS with REALISTIC ART – These flash cards are the perfect hand-held size with large, clear and bold fonts so it easy to see even from afar. The realistic art makes it exciting and practical for teaching your child.
- ✔ TEACH AND REVIEW – It is deal for teaching, reviewing and practicing sight words, in the classroom as a whole or each child individually or in groups, at their level.
Dry Erase Boards
There isn’t much we could say about dry erase boards that ESL teachers don’t already know. Dry Erase boards are an English teacher’s biggest asset in the classroom. But what many ESL teachers may not realize is that smaller dry erase boards (primarily designed for children) are compact enough to hold in your hands, making them useful teaching aids for demonstrating grammar, vocabulary, assessments, or keeping scores during a class activity.
Get a magnetic dry erase board and use it with magnetic letters and numbers!
Dry Erase Boards We Recommend for the ESL Classroom
- Magnetic dry erase surface is highly durable, erases easily, resists staining, ghosting and duals as a bulletin board
- Dry erase marker with eraser and Pin-It cork magnet are included. Contoured marker cap design prevents marker from rolling off any flat surface or tray. Pin-It cork magnet enables repositionable push pin use anywhere on the board
- Customize your board with U Brands Gruv snap-in frame accessories (sold separately). Accessories and marker clip can be snapped into any side of the frame
- Works with all dry erase markers. Try U Brands dry erase markers for ultimate board performance
- U-Mount hassle free mounting system, double sided Velcro mounting strips are included to mount on almost any flat surface
- The large blank writing surface of each whiteboard gives students lots of room for writing so it can be used for math, spelling, penmanship and more..
- Single sided to allow for a smooth finish backing for best comfort to hold in hand or place on lap.
- The lightweight design allows the boards to be easily maneuvered.
- Environmentally conscious features a dry erase design allows for the boards to be used over and over again for added value, and they save teachers from wasting pages and pages of paper.
- Made with lightweight but durable material which makes it easy for students to use in a classroom setting, great for interactive effective learning, or even for use in bed for studying purposes.
- Dry erase board provides a smooth writing surface and doubles as a magnetic bulletin board
- Performs best under light use
- 17 inches x 23 inches. Surface type painted steel
- Available with a white frame
- Board can be hung in either portrait or landscape orientation
- Mounting hardware, dry erase marker and magnet Accessories Included.It has a sturdy wooden frame
Magnetic Letters and Numbers
Magnetic letters and numbers are extremely useful for teaching ESL to young learners, and go well with a magnetic dry erase board. They can be used in numerous ways, especially for learning the alphabet, counting numbers, spelling, and math. You can also use them to practice phonics.
You can also use scrabble letters in place of magnetic ones, though scrabble letters would be better suited for the classroom than online instruction.
Magnetic Letter and Number Sets We Recommend for the ESL Classroom
- ABC Alphabet Magnets Set: This 253 PCS magnetic letters numbers set contains 52 uppercase letters,156 lowercase letters, 20 numbers, 14 math symbols, 5 cartoon refrigerator magnets, 1 double-sided magnetic writing board, 3 marker, 1 eraser and 1 sturdy storage box, teach literally thousands of words to your little genius.
- Durable & Safety Materials: This magnetic alphabet learning toys is made of durable Eco-Friendly EVA foam with a full-cover magnet on the back that can be attached to our magnetic drawing boards or even refrigerators. Durable and soft material won't be falling off or tearing apart. Perfect size for little's finger.
- Great for teaching letters, numbers, words, colors! Created by parents and teachers, this set contains everything needed to build vocabulary, spelling, reading recognition, math counting, shape recognition, sentence building. This is ultimate learning gift for kids. Surprise kids with a gift that truly adds value to their imagination.
- Multiple Use: This educational toy magnets can be attached to the refrigerator, dry erase magnetic boards,easel, dishwasher, our magnetic drawing board or anywhere with magnetic capabilities
- 100% Happiness Service: We design every toy to the highest quality standards, and to nurture minds and hearts. Please contact us if any questions and we’ll make it right.
- 78 PIECES OF MAGNETIC PLASTIC LETTERS & NUMBERS: Each set includes 26 uppercase letters ( A-Z), 26 lowercase letters ( a-z),20 Numbers and 6 math Symbols (all letters numbers sizes about 1in -1.2in).Fridge magnets set with five different colors ( green, blue, orange, red and yellow).All comes in a sturdy plastic canister featuring snap shut cover with handle!
- KIDS FIRST LEARNING STEPS:Learn the Abc, 123 numbers & math symbols.Strong,durable colorful alphabet educational toys magnetic letters is perfect learning tool for child. Practice skills with fridge magnets for kids - letter and number recognition, basic word building, phonics, grammar, spelling and math.It safe for your child's eyes and helps your child to increase their confidence and inspires their creativity.
- SAFE MATERIALS:All letters and numbers magnetic stick are constructed of non-toxic plastic and environmentally friendly material which is up to safety standard .Each letter size is about 1-1.2 inches with a full-cover magnet on the back. Lightweight and small size with smooth edges and curves, perfect for small hands to hold on. They can be washable and completely safe for both your child and the environment!
- FUN LEARNING :The set will enhance your kid’s cognitive ability, building fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, develop visual perception, help them recognize letters and numbers along with animal and math symbols. Classrooms need these letters, numbers & symbols to assist with your young readers to advance from single letter recognition to writing complete sentences.Easy clean and travel take.
- ABC NUMBERS SIZE 1" - 1.2" TALL FOR AGES 3 & UP: Small parts not for children under 3 yrs or any individuals who have tendency to place inedible objects in their mouths Size: 5.35*3.86 inch ;Weight (Letters+Numbers+Bucket): about 6.8 oz.
- COMPONENTS: 112 PCS Magnetic Letters & Numbers with five different colors ( green, blue, orange, red and yellow), includes 26 uppercase letters, 60 lowercase letters, 20 numbers + 6 symbols.
- FUNCTIONS: The educational toys magnetic letters can help kids to practice their spelling skills and build their word skills. It safe for your child's eyes and helps your child to increase their confidence and inspires their creativity.
- MATERIALS: Educational Toys Magnetic alphabet magnets are made of hard eva letters. This is especially satisfying for parents.
- PERFECT DESIGN: These Magnetic letters and numbers makes them easy for small hands to play with, they can stick to the refrigerator and won't fall to the floor, where they could be a potential swallowing hazard for your young children.
- EASY CLEAN AND STORE: You can store these magnetic letters and numbers with one box or case.
Though hand clappers are not so useful for instruction, they can be useful ESL teaching aids during activities, or simply to keep young learners attentive and focused. You can even use them to celebrate student birthdays during class.
If you teach online, you probably just need one hand clapper, but since they usually come in inexpensive packs, you may as well have an assortment of hand clappers on hand, and use them to practice language skills such as identifying colors.
Other options to hand clappers are maracas and squeaky rubber chickens.
These noisy props for teaching ESL can be more useful than you might think. Let’s make some noise!
Hand Clappers and Noise Makers We Recommend for the ESL Classroom
- This item is a great value!
- 1 per package
- School Spirit party item
- Party Favors - Noisemakers for festive occasions
- High Quality
- Exciting Pack - these hand clappers will surely enhance your party celebrations, each pack includes 12 plastic hand clappers in a variety of bright colors.
- Enjoyable To Use - these plastic noisemakers make a loud sounding noise when clapped, it is a lot of fun for boys and girls to play with these hand clappers.
- Party Noisemakers - use these hand clapper noisemakers to make some noise at your next party or event it will definitely be a hit with all your party guests.
- Easy To Shake - the perfect size for kids to easily hold in their hands and have fun shaking, each hand clapper measures approximately 7.5 inches long.
- Parties And Carnivals - great idea to use these clappers for party favors, goody bag filler, prizes, party noisemakers, treasure box, and much more.
- Package include: you will get 40 pieces of hand clappers in random colors, rich in colors to meet different people's preferences, enough for you to use, good as gifts to your friends as well
- Proper size: the length is approx. 7.5 inches/ 19 cm, suitable size for most children, teens and adults in their hands, you can enjoy a funny party with all of people
- Safe material: these clappers are made of high quality plastic, non-toxic, lightweight and durable, with smooth and gentle touch surface, they can serve you for a long time
- Unique design: the hand shank is easy to grip, 3 flexible little plastic hands on the top, they can make strong noise while partying or having fun, let the party begin with a round of applause
- Wide application: you can make sounds to enhance the happy atmosphere by shaking these hand clappers, making people enjoy the party in a joyful mood, they can be used in parties, carnivals, competitions, etc.
We’ve given you some pretty awesome examples of props you can use in the ESL classroom, and there are undoubtedly more teaching aids than we could possibly cover here. Indeed, many online ESL teachers use green screening as a teaching aid, which is great because you can easily share images, animations, and do other neat stuff on-screen.
Our focus in this post was to reach the wider audience of ESL teachers, both those who teach in the classroom as well those who teach online. And our most important message is this:
You can use almost anything as a prop or teaching aid as an ESL teacher, as long as you use it in ways that are meaningful to learning and the learning experience.