Best Resume Writing Service For ESL Teachers12 min read
Using an ESL resume writing service to ensure your résumé is a good option if you don’t resume but if you want to make sure you get the job then using one of the résumé writing services feel your writing skills are going to sell recruiters. I talked here about writing your own below is the way to go.
Why would I need a résumé writing service?
Not everyone is going to need a professional resume writing service. In fact, many people probably feel quite comfortable with the résumé they have put together on their own. However, sometimes people can overestimate their ability to write the perfect resume and do themselves more harm than good in the vein of winning over recruiters and employers.
Utilizing an ESL resume writing service can ensure that your résumé actually is perfect. The last thing you want to do is to send out your résumé to dozens of different schools only to realize that you’ve made a glaring mistake which stands out and paints you as incompetent or lacking in ability. Every recruiter that sees that now has you marked for that mistake and if you do end up getting an interview you are starting at a disadvantage over other candidates who had perfect resumes.
The remedy to this is making sure the job is done right the first time by a professional. There will always be new trends and expectations for what employers want in a résumé. You can’t be expected to keep up with these trends and to also keep up with the trends in ESL teaching and everything else in your busy life. This is where hiring a professional is advantageous. A résumé writing professional is going to know exactly what to put on your résumé and just as important what to leave off in order to paint you in the best light to potential employers.
What should I look for in a good resume writing service?
The first thing you want to check from any ESL resume writing service is a past history of clients who have successfully landed jobs. This is going to establish that the people who write for this company understand how to word and structure a résumé in a way that actually converts potential employers into current employers. This will be very important as even the most well written and perfectly structured resume is useless if it doesn’t get you a job. That is what is important here. Not the résumé itself and how it looks or reads but that you are able to get a job from it. So look for testimonials throughout the website and pay attention to what they are saying about the service. Are they giving it a high rating because they were able to get a job? Or are there a lot of positive reviews about things like turnaround time, how the résumé looked, how it read but few that actually speak about landing jobs? While turnaround time and the look and wording of the résumé are indeed important, these should take the backseat to its ability to get you hired for the job you want. Don’t just look on the website, however, and go to other websites and search google for reviews of the service. In a perfect world, you could absolutely trust a review but we don’t live in a perfect world and the fact is there are companies out there that can be paid to generate fake positive reviews. Make sure you are looking at all possible sources for a review of the ESL resume writing service you are looking to hire.
You should also look at who they have working there if possible. You preferably want to find a service that has writers that understand your field. A current or former teacher is going to be better able to write a proper resume for someone looking to teach ESL than a former or current registered nurse. If the company provides a background on its writers try looking to see if there are writers that are similar to your field. You may not find exact matches. For example, you may not find ESL teachers with exactly five years of experience working for a particular school in China. But, you should be looking for writers that have experience in the same field such as teaching or especially teaching abroad. This will give you an idea of how well they are going to understand the industry and its current trends.
Lastly, you want to take a look at the other factors we mentioned above such as the turnaround time. If you are going to need a résumé in a week but they list their turnaround time as two weeks then you are going to have problems. Many companies offer rush delivery for an extra fee if that is what you need but it is best to know this before handing over your money and then being surprised that it is going to take longer than you need.
What are some of the best ESL resume writing services?
- Careers Booster provides services aside from just resume writing including cover letters and thank you/ follow-up letters. This can be good if you are applying for more prestigious positions such as high-level universities abroad or esteemed private schools.
- The service has been top rated by many users and reviewers across many sites for their professionalism as well as their ability to deliver a speedy product that will actually get you hired.
- Should you not be satisfied with your résumé they offer unlimited revisions at no extra cost to you. The service also offers a full refund if you do not plan to use the résumé (though in the event of a refund you surrender all rights to the résumé).
- This is the most expensive service on our list. While I have mentioned numerous times throughout this article that price should not affect your decision (should you get hired the investment will have paid for itself in the first month) if you absolutely cannot spare the money this may not be the best option for you (but do realize you are paying for quality).
- While all of the writers on the website have been vetted there is no guarantee that the writer who handles your résumé will have worked in the field of ESL or teaching. This is not a deal breaker as the writer can do the proper research and write a résumé that will get you hired. But, it is always good to have a writer who understands the industry personally.
- There is no guarantee that the writer you work with will have experience with writing resumes for positions abroad. Because of this, you will have to write a bit more when sending them the information about your résumé specifying which country the résumé will be used in and that it needs to be tailored according to standards in that country.
- Resumes Planet puts you in touch with a writer that has experience in the field you are looking to work in. For ESL teachers this means they will be receiving a résumé from someone who understands at the very least the field of teaching and will understand how to craft a résumé that paints you in the best light to schools and recruiters.
- Resumes Planet offers services outside of just resume writing including cover letters and thank you letters. They also offer LinkedIn profile creating and customization which can seriously help if you know the school will be looking at your online presence.
- The service offers various discounts for things like being a first time client or ordering multiple services at once. This can make the overall cost of your first resume cheaper than at a more expensive service of equal quality.
- If for whatever reason you cannot find a discount to use this service is more expensive than many other resume writing services that are out there. I will stress one more time that you should not let money influence your decision for a top-level product such as this one.
- As mentioned above there is no guarantee that the writer you work with will have experience with writing resumes for positions abroad. Because of this, you may have to write a bit more when sending them the information about your résumé specifying which country the résumé will be used in and that it needs to be tailored according to standards in that country.
- The revision process will add time to your end product delivery date. So, even though you get an unlimited number of revisions if you are on a tight deadline and end up needing revisions this may put you over your strict time frame.
- Resume Writing Service offers resumes at a cheaper price than many of the other resume writing companies out there but still retains a high degree of quality according to many of the people who have used them to write a résumé.
- They offer a large variety of services outside of just resume writing including cover letters, thank you and follow up letters, proofreading, and editing of existing resumes, LinkedIn profile creation, interview coaching, among many other services. Many of these can come in very handy if you are going for a position that is more prestigious and will, therefore, have more competition and chance of rejection.
- You will have the ability to communicate one-to-one with the writer who will be handling your résumé allowing you to provide specific information which they can use to better create the résumé for you such as what country you will be applying for jobs in and what level of schools you are applying for.
- Unlike some of the other companies on our list, Resume Writing Service does not allow for unlimited revisions. You will get one free revision which can be used within 30 days of receiving your résumé after which you will have to purchase their résumé editing package separately.
- Other companies on our list have a very clear-cut refund policy in the case you are not satisfied with the product. Resume Writing Service, however, does not have as up front of a refund policy. Their policy is instead to have your individual case reviewed by their quality assurance team who will then make suggestions such as assigning a new writer. They do not explicitly say they will offer you a complete refund if you are not satisfied.
- There is no guarantee that the writer who handles your résumé will have worked in the ESL industry and because of this, they may not know the industry in a personal way that will reflect in their writing. This doesn’t mean the writer can’t do the research and craft a résumé that will get you hired, however, it is always better to have a writer that has personal experience in the field or a field closely related to the one you are applying in.
- All Zip Job writers are certified by the Professional Association of Resume Writers & Career Coaches. This is a worldwide organization and the standard for assuring the company you are working with is a professional and quality resume writing service.
- Zip Jobs goes one step beyond other resume writing services on our list and provides you the ability to call your ESL resume writer and chat with them personally so that you can ensure they have all the information they will need to do the job right. The other services here allow you to chat with writers through an in-house messaging system.
- The company offers unlimited revisions so that you make changes until you are absolutely satisfied that the résumé you are receiving is going to work for you. This ensures that you are not stuck with a product you are not confident in.
- Unlike the other companies on our list, Zip Jobs offers only three tiers of packages with most of the services outside of the basic resume and unlimited revisions only being made available at the middle and top-tier.
- The company and all of its writers are based in the United States so they may not have as much experience with writing resumes tailored to foreign markets. This means you are going to have to spend more time working with your writer to ensure they understand the exact parameters of what you are looking for and giving them a bit of extra guidance to ensure you get the exact product you are looking for.
- For the mid and upper-level packages, the cost is more than the other companies on our list. You will receive much more from these packages such as a cover letter as well as a LinkedIn profile rewrite with keyword optimization (top-level package) you are going to be paying more for this.
Which is the best?
You can see from the above list that there are many companies that offer professional ESL resume writing services. Each of these companies offers different services at different prices and you may be struggling to figure out which is best for you. I recommend Resumes Planet. Firstly, the fact they match you up with a writer that has experience in your industry will go a long way towards making sure your résumé is written correctly the first time. Secondly, the price which they offer is comparable to many of the other companies on our list that do not offer this guarantee. You may not be matched with a writer who has specific experience in the ESL industry or in the specific country you are applying to work in. However, if you are matched with a writer who has teaching experience and especially English teaching experience at the level you are looking to work they are going to be able to structure and word the résumé that is going to make you look more appealing as a candidate to schools and recruiters abroad. They also offer unlimited revisions and put you in contact with the writer giving you further confidence the job will be done right. If you already have a résumé that is getting you hired, there is probably no need for you to work with a professional resume writing service. However, if you have been submitting your résumé to different places with no call for an interview then it’s time to reevaluate what you are doing and maybe let a professional help you to land the job you want.
I want to help you find an awesome job in the ESL industry and then excel at it. I’m a TESOL certified teacher with over two years of experience working both online and offline. I have worked with students ranging from young learners to advanced level university speakers and have worked in recruiting and hiring, teacher training, and content creation. I’ve seen the good and bad of the ESL industry and I’m here to tell you about it.