We examine the best ergonomic mouse for health minded online ESL teachers
Using a good ergonomic mouse can significantly help to alleviate one of the major downsides and health concerns of working online, repetitive strain injuries. Using a mouse and keyboard for long periods can have a toll on your hands and wrists. Let’s take a look at what an ergonomic mouse can do to help as well as what you should be looking for in the best ergonomic mouse before you buy.
Why should online ESL teachers use an ergonomic mouse?
Most online ESL teachers use a laptop to teach English online, and while that’s perfectly fine, there are some constraints to laptops that make you conform to their placement, rather than what may be comfortable for you. Laptops, are by design, compact and integrated, so the trackpad that is built-in to your laptop isn’t going to move. It’s installed and positioned where it is. A mouse, on the other hand, can be placed where you feel most comfortable using it. An ergonomic mouse is even better, because it is designed to fit the palm of your hand while minimizing strain on your hands and wrists.
What should I look for in an ergonomic mouse?
The most important thing to remember here is cheap doesn’t always mean good. Don’t let price be the first thing you think about when purchasing the best ergonomic mouse for you. You want something that is actually going to relieve strain from your fingers and wrist so if you purchase something that is cheap but doesn’t actually do its intended purpose then it will be useless and may even cause more problems if it puts your hand into an even worse position.
Instead, the very first thing you want to do is to think about your specific needs. Do you have large hands? You probably want to avoid an ergonomic mouse that is super small, for example. Buying something that isn’t suited to your specific needs is a sure way to add more discomfort, or at the very least annoyance, to your teaching experience.
You are ideally looking for something that completely changes the angle and positioning of your fingers and wrist. Many teachers now prefer to use laptop computers which come with a touchpad. The main problem these touchpads is that they don’t promote any sort of optimal wrist placement. Instead, most people simply rest their wrist on the laptop and use their pointer or middle fingers or a combination of both. This puts the majority of the strain on the tendons in the fingers and over time can lead to injury.
The best ergonomic mouse will change this up completely so that instead of putting the strain on your wrist and fingers it is more evenly distributed throughout your hand and relies more on your muscles instead to take the burden.
- Scientific ergonomic design encourages healthy neutral "handshake" wrist and arm positions for smoother movement and less overall strain.
- 800 / 1200 / 1600 DPI Resolution Optical Tracking Technology provides more sensitivity than standard optical mice for smooth and precise tracking on a wide range of surfaces.
- Added next/previous buttons provide convenience when webpage browsing; the superior choice for internet surfers, gamers and people who work at length at the computer.
- Enters power saving mode (power is cut off completely) after 8 minutes idle, press right or left button for it to wake. Product dimensions: 120*62.8*74.8 mm; product weight: 3.4 oz.
- Package includes: 1 Anker Wireless Vertical Ergonomic Optical Mouse (2 AAA batteries not included), 1 2.4G USB receiver (in the bottom of the mouse), 1 instruction manual. 18-month hassle-free warranty.
- Ergonomic comfort design, relaxed hand and arm: The comfortable, sculpted ergonomic shape naturally fits your hand.
- Smooth thumb control, precise tracking: Great cursor control on any surface. Adjust the cursor speed with Logitech Options software.
- Perfect for tight workspaces: Because the trackball doesn’t move, it’s perfect for tight workspaces and busy desks.
- 2 ways to connect and multi-OS: Connect simply with Bluetooth or the USB receiver and never worry about drop-offs or lag up to a 33 ft (10m) range.
- Plastic parts in ERGO M575 include post consumer recycled plastic (Graphite/Black: 50%, Off-White: 21%). Uses FSC-certified paper for responsible packaging.
- Up to 24-month of use from a single AA battery with the USB receiver, you might just forget your trackball uses batteries at all.
- Convenient controls: Moving between documents or browsing your favorite websites is a breeze with large, easy-to-reach Back/Forward buttons and the precision scroll wheel.
- ✔ ERGONOMIC, SLEEK AND RECHARGEABLE DESIGN -- Scientific ergonomic design encourages healthy neutral "handshake" wrist and arm positions for smoother movement and less overall strain
- ✔ MULTIFUNCTION AND CONVENIENT -- Advanced "Page Back" and "Page Forward" functionality buttons provide convenience when web page browsing. 800 /1200/1600 DPI Levels -- Easily adjusts the sensitivity of the mouse
- ✔ HIGH-CAPACITY RECHARGEABLE BATTERY -- Built-in rechargeable battery. You no longer need to buy batteries, very convenient !! EASY TO USE -- One nano USB receiver at the bottom of mouse, Just Plug and Play!
- ✔ WIDELY COMPATIBLE -- Widely compatible with Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / 10 / Linux. 【Note: Not compatible with Mac OS, Apple Products】 Once you get used to the ergonomic mouse, you will love it so much !
- ✔ GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE -- Rest assured that all our LEKVEY ergonomic vertical mouse have unconditional 18-month product warranty ( Replace or Refund ) as well as lifetime easy-to-reach technical support
- ✔ Why Special : Unique Design - Reduce Tension - Scientific ergonomic design encourages healthy neutral "handshake" wrist and arm positions for smoother movement and less overall strain. It does take some time to get used to using a mouse at a different angle. Once you get used to it, you will love it so much !
- ✔ High Responsiveness: 800 / 1200 / 1600 DPI Resolution Optical Tracking Technology provides more sensitivity than standard optical mice for smooth and precise tracking on a wide range of surfaces, Sensitive Mouse Click with Less Noise. 【 Please confirm the size before buying it. 】
- ✔ Advance Functionality: Added next / previous buttons provide convenience when web page browsing; The superior choice for internet surfers, gamers and people who work at the computer. 【 Note: The vertical mouse can not fully compatible with Macbook, Mac os x operating system. The backward and forward browsing buttons will not work, and the scrolling is contrary to Mac. Because Apple company product only support its own system 】
- ✔ Wide Compatibility: Compatible with most system including Windows 7 / 8 / 10, XP, Vista and Linux. Fit for Notebook, PC, Laptop, Computer, and other device. 【 Not fully compatible with Apple products 】
- ✔ What You Get : One Jelly Comb Wireless Vertical Ergonomic Optical Mouse, one 2.4G USB receiver ( In the Bottom of the Mouse, Plug & Play).
- Advanced Ergonomic Design: The ergonomic design places your hand in a natural handshake position and offers your hand maximum support for lasting comfort. Concave area for Thumb and little extended bottom edge for pinky finger, smoother moving and more comfortable grip. Effectively reduces the wrist strain and pain
- Bluetooth & 2.4G Wireless Connection: This ergonomic mouse has dual connection modes BT 4.0 and 2.4G RF (USB Nano Receiver stored in the mouse bottom), you can control two devices at the same time, switch freely between Android, tablet and Mac with just one button
- Silent Click & Adjustable DPI: Quiet clicks can bring a better user experience and free your worry about bothering others and keep you stay focused while working. 3 adjustable DPI levels (1000/1600/2400) allows you to change the cursor sensitivity easily depending on your activity and track more smoothly over a variety of surfaces
- Wide Compatibilty: Bluetooth mode supports Bluetooth enabled devices with Windows / Android / Mac OS system. 2.4G wireless mode supports all devices with usb port. Fits for PC, laptop, cellphone, Mac. Added forward/ backward buttons provide convenience when webpage browsing. NOTE: Forward/backward buttons will not work on Mac
- Exquisite & Warranty: It has an elegant rubbery matte finish that provides a nice grip, while resisting fingerprints and smudges. Every Jelly Comb product includes 12-month warranty. If you have problems with product, please contact us to solve it for you
What are some final tips for finding the best ergonomic mouse?
The most important thing for you to remember is that you are going to have to find what works for you. What one reviewer says and finds comfortable may not be what you find comfortable. You need to think about your hand size, how you want to connect whether Bluetooth or WiFi, and what kinds of features you want your ergonomic mouse to have. Also, you will need to think about whether you want to use a vertical mouse or a more traditional positioned mouse. If you are a left-handed user, this will also affect your choice of mouse.